Welcome to the Year 10 Work Experience page:2016 Dates:
Work Experience is Monday 7 March – Friday 18 March 2016.
Those beyond Kent, for example London, have a cut-off date of 19th October 2015.
Those within the Kent have a cut off date of 7th December 2015.
Why is Work Experience Important?
You might think that the only point of doing work experience is for CV. You probably think you’ll just sit there twiddling your thumbs, or be given a stack of 2,000 envelopes to stuff, stamp and send. Although some work experience does involve doing menial tasks, it can still be very important.
Some work experience placements might even give you the opportunity to take on some really interesting and challenging responsibilities. There’s no doubt about it, work experience is incredibly important! However, if you still need convincing, we present to you our top ten reasons why you should do work experience:
1. You are more likely to be successful in their job hunt if they have done some good work experience.
2. If you haven’t got a clue what career you want to do, work experience is a perfect way to sample all the career options out there. It’s a way of exploring different jobs without actually committing to anything. You can dip your toe in the water without taking the full plunge.
3. It’s the best way to get a real sense of your chosen industry. You’ll get to speak to employees and ask them questions. You won’t know what it’s like until you get closer to the action.
4. Doing work experience shows passion and interest. Evidence that you have done work experience shows the employer that you are motivated to get into a chosen career and that you’ve done your homework.
5. If you’re floundering about and frankly aren’t that bothered about your career, work experience might just be the kick up the backside you need. If you do a variety of different work experience placements, you might find something you are passionate about and get motivated.
6. Work experience gently introduces you to the world of work. You get to learn the dos and don’ts, get work place savvy and learn to navigate your way through the jungle of office politics. Vitally, it’ll give you an idea of the skills you might need to thrive in the workplace.
7. It’ll help you identify your own skills and perhaps even highlight the areas that you might want to work on. It will definitely give you a good understanding of your strengths and weakness.
8. You might wow them so much that you’ll manage to get yourself a job!
9. It’s all about networking! It’ll help you build up contacts and, you never know, they might even give you a heads up about a future job or recommend you to another company.
10. And yes, work experience does give you something to put on your CV!
Organising a placement
If you want to organise your own placement, you MUST stick to these deadlines:
19th October 2015 If you are arranging your own placement outside of Kent.
7th December 2015– If you are arranging your own placement in Kent.
You will need to put your placement deadlines onto the following website:
If you want to pick from the database of placements, you will need to wait till 7 December 2015!
Downloadable documents to help you organise your work experience:
Work Experience Company Letter Hercules
Work Experience Company Letter Trafalgar
Work Experience Company Letter Victory
Work Experience Own Placement Letter Hercules
Work Experience Own Placement Letter Trafalgar
Work Experience Own Placement Letter Victory